In today’s vehicles, seat heating has become a state-of-the art comfort feature with the first row and sometimes also second and third row being equipped with. Nowadays, more than 60% of passenger cars sold are equipped with a seat heating – with a rising trend.
However, the focus used to be on passenger thermal comfort rather than on energy efficiency. With the paradigm shift towards fully electrified vehicles, every Watt spend on auxiliary systems such as the seat heating is a Watt that reduces the driving range. Hence, a significant focus needs to be shifted on making seat heating systems more efficient whilst keeping the passenger thermal comfort at the same level.
Conventional seat heating systems are based on resistor wires embedded in a carrier material. Diameter and material properties of the wire – among others – are characterizing the resistance and thus the heating power of the device.
ATT is convinced, that seat heating, together with the surface heating of the entire cabin based on radiation and conduction, will be one crucial element for an optimized vehicle range combined with healthy passenger thermal comfort. This is why the ATT seat heater was developed, that can be seamlessly integrated in any seat, respecting geometry and customer specific demands.
The design of the seat heater features ATT core technologies with technical specifications and benefits listed below:
- Printed silver heater that can be engineered according to customer specifications in terms of geometry, size and heating performance.
- Due to the printed conductor path, the heat transfer into the adjacent material is more effective. The core temperature can be reduced, resulting in a more even temperature across the entire seat. This increases safety, efficiency and comfort of our solution.
- The ATT seat heater is a lightweight and efficient alternative to the wire based heating elements that are currently on the market.
- The seat heater can be equipped with carbon-based heating elements with a positive-temperature-effect (PTC) to minimize heat-up time, making additional sensors or control nonessential.
- Due to the PTC effect, the maximum temperature of the heating elements can be specified according to customer requirements.
- As additional feature, a seat occupancy sensing function that is based on capacitive resistance measurement can be implemented into the heating element, making it easy for the sensor to distinguish between a human and a random object occupying the seat.
How to work together with us?
ATT is your ideal partner to realize seat heating solutions from pre-development to serial development and production. Due to our deep understanding of thermal management systems, we consider ourself more than just another supplier of heating systems. We understand the challenge, want to discuss the application with our customers and are known for innovative ideas. We therefor prefer to be involved in an early stage of development to be able to bring in our know-how and experience from 15+ years of passenger thermal comfort engineering.
Please feel free to contact us with your requirement, idea or ready-made RFQ.